If one job cannot cover your monthly expenses, another alternative is to take part time jobs. These could be many things that include doing something profitable in your spare time. It is really tempting, because everyone can do it, i.e. a housewife who wants to have more money for groceries, a college student who is running out of monthly allowance, or even an office worker who is willing to make the best out of their weekends.
Here are some part-time jobs with small time commitment that one can explore:
1. Bicycle/ Motorcycle Parking
This small business is quite profitable and not too demanding. However, people would need this parking spot only at certain locations, e.g. near schools, main roads, public transport stops, or train stations. Some things you need to know when starting this business:
- Create a more covered space for your bicycle or motorcycle storage so that it is safe and protected from the sun
- Provide a better service that would make your business stands out from the rest of bicycle storage services nearby
The estimate revenue that you will gain (not including the price of land):
One bicycle = Rp 5,000 X 50 bicycles = Rp 250,000 per day x 30 days = Rp 7.5 million per month.
Employees salary cost = Rp 2 million per month.
Profit = Rp 7.5 million – Rp 2 million = Rp 5.5 million.
2. Opening a Grocery Store
Grocery stores usually sell staple foods like rice, sugar, coffee, cigarettes, as well as herbs and spices. In order to start running this business, you need to have enough starting capital to build a store in a strategic location and to stock up supplies in the store. Once you have set a budget to buy supplies and calculated your revenue after paying for wages and rent – if you do not own the property, you can get around Rp 500 per item.
You should combine staple foods with non-perishable foods that have a long shelf life – more than 6 months, and keep your shop away from dampness and insects.
3. Computer Rental and Repair Services
This business can be very profitable when it is built in a strategic location. You can also sell computer accessories, i.e. mouse and USB cables, to add variety of business.
Here are some tips to run a computer rental business:
- Choose good quality computers – to last at least within 5 years
- Provide complementary facilities with reasonable price, such as internet, a printer, scanner, or even a café to make people stay longer
- By hiring Diploma graduates who are skillful in assembling and repairing computers, you will be able to diversify your business by adding computer repair to your services – while also create job opportunities.
4. Selling Refills for Water Gallon
Water refill center has become a rewarding business in the past few years, because not many people consume boiling water anymore. Nowadays, we see more people open a refill center in their residences.
Hera are several things that you need to consider:
- At the beginning, buy several gallons as a reserve
- Maintain the gallon and water hygiene
Starting capital: 1 gallon Rp 50,000 x 20 = Rp 1 million.
Refill station and tools = Rp 10 million.
Gross profit = 1 refill Rp 6,000 x 30 customers = Rp 180,000 per day.
5. Becoming a Freelance Writer
This job may look easy, but requires experience. The more you write, the better you are in transforming ideas and words into a piece of article.
Since one will have many competitions in this field, one should work on these requirements in order to become better:
- Follow the brief carefully, especially when it comes to deadlines
- Proofread your writing to keep it sharp and eliminate grammar mistakes
- Prepare some starting capital to become a writer:
Phone credit or internet service = Rp 50,000-Rp 100,000 per month.
A laptop or desktop PC = Rp 4 million or more.